In this blog, I'll explore ten exciting twists on pancakes that will inspire you to venture beyond the ordinary. From a simple English pancake recipe to healthy and indulgent toppings, let's make this Pancake Day a bit special. If you need a simple pancake recipe then read on to the bottom of the blog.
Healthier toppings for pancakes
1. Greek yoghurt and fresh berries: Make your pancakes healthier by adding a dollop of protein-rich Greek yoghurt. Finish with handful of fresh strawberries, raspberries or blueberries for a boost of vitamin C.
2. Banana and almond butter: Spread a generous amount of almond butter (or a nut butter of your choice) on your pancakes. Take one banana and slice over your pancake for a satisfying and healthy twist.
3. Orange zest and ricotta: Simply mix orange zest with a large spoonful of ricotta and spread over your pancakes, for a creamy and citrusy treat.
Indulgent toppings for pancakes
4. Nutella and strawberries: Indulge your sweet tooth by spreading a layer of chocolate hazelnut spread over your pancakes. Finish by topping them with fresh strawberries - at least you are getting one of your five a day!
5. Maple syrup and walnuts: Drizzle maple syrup over your pancakes and sprinkle with chopped walnuts (or pecans) for a rich and crunchy treat.
6. Squirty cream and golden syrup: This is almost certainly a favourite with my kids, although it is so unhealthy I usually make them have a fruit one first! Start with a generous amount of whipped cream with a little drizzle of golden syrup on top. Roll up and enjoy
Savoury toppings for pancakes – because not all of us have a sweet tooth!
7. Ham and cheese: Slice Emmental, cheddar or any of your favourite cheeses and top with a slice of ham. Roll up and enjoy!
8. Smoked salmon and cream cheese: Start by spreading cream cheese on the pancake, followed by some smoked salmon. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of black pepper. If you can get a pack of smoked salmon trimmings from the supermarket, it is a more budget-friendly option.
9. Avocado and fried egg: For a brunch-worthy twist, layer slices of avocado over your pancakes and top with an egg fried the way you like it!
10. Pesto and cherry tomatoes: Spread a thin layer of basil pesto on your pancakes and finish with halved cherry tomatoes for a burst of freshness.
Classic English pancakes recipe
120 g plain flour
2 large eggs
300 ml milk
Pinch of salt
Butter for cooking
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, eggs, milk, and salt until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add a small amount of butter.
- Pour a ladle of batter into the pan, swirling it to coat the bottom evenly.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Choose one of the tasty toppings above and enjoy your pancakes!
This Pancake Day, don't settle for the ordinary. With these top 10 twists on pancakes, you can transform a simple breakfast into a culinary adventure. Whether you want something healthy, indulgent, or savoury - these fun toppings will satisfy your taste buds. So, gather your ingredients, whip up a batch of English pancakes, and let the pancake fun begin!
Has this blog inspired you to cook more? Click the button below to see our cookery classes.