The Regional Committee and Staff feel that it is important that the principles of the WEA and its democratic processes continue despite the challenging and difficult times we are currently facing. If anything, this feels more important now than ever.
To this end we will shortly be inviting you, as members of the WEA Yorkshire and Humber Region, to the Yorkshire and Humber Regional AGM.
The event will be a hybrid event of face to face at St George’s Centre, Great George Street, Leeds and live streaming for those unable or unwilling to attend the live event.
The process will be as follows:
- To register for the event you will need to send your e-mail address and full name to Luke Smith by e-mail to [email protected] you will also need to include whether you wish to attend in person or by zoom. The deadline for return of all Motions, registrations and nominations will be 9am on Friday 8th October. Unfortunately we will be unable to accept any nominations, Motions or registrations after this time. Places are limited and will be allotted on a first come first served basis. Any papers received after this time will not be counted. You will be informed by return that your papers have been received.
- Following collection and collation of registrations, nominations and Motions a further notice will be sent to those registered, supplying them with voting slips, notifications of any Motions received, and the zoom link with instructions for the AGM attendance for those attending the live streaming event.
The AGM meeting itself will consist of the business meeting only. There will be a short comfort break followed by the Annual William Alderson Memorial Trust Lecture.
The draft agenda for the meeting:
09:45 – 10:00
10:00 – 10:15
Introduction and Apologies
10:15 - 10:45
CEO Simon Parkinson’s Presentation
10:45 – 11:00
Chair’s and Head of Region remarks including lifetime membership awards
11:00 – 11:15
Statement of Accounts
11:15 – 11:35
Report of Regional Officer Elections
11:35 – 11:45
11:45 – 11:50
Minutes of last AGM
11:50 – 12:00
12:00 - 12:30
12:30 - 13:30
William Alderson Memorial Trust Fund Lecture by Phil Coward and Sue Pember.
To register for the event:
Please e-mail your full name and e-mail address to [email protected] by 9am on Friday 8th October 2021
Any other enquiries to:
Education Support Team 0114 2423609
Management and Governance Officer
Yorkshire and Humber Region
Who is entitled to vote?
The Yorkshire & Humber Statement of Representation (SOR) states that the following people will be entitled to vote (in any, but not more than one, of the following capacities) on any proposals or Motions and to nominate Officers:
- Members of the Regional Executive Committee
- One representative from each Branch
- One notified appointed representative from each member organisation affiliated at Regional level
- Members of the Regional Committee if not eligible in any other capacity
- WEA Members resident in Yorkshire & Humber Region as at 9am on Sunday 31 October 2021 (with the exception of those members who are employed by the WEA and earn over £3072.00 a year).
Students, partners and tutors may attend the AGM as non-voting participants with speaking rights, also WEA employees who earn over £3702.00 a year may attend the
Election of Regional Officers
The Yorkshire & Humber Statement of Representation states that nominations need to be made for the following positions: Chair, Treasurer, Vice Chair (3 posts). A nomination form is enclosed with the notice. It should be returned to Luke Smith [email protected] before 9am on Friday 8th October 2021
The Current Regional Officers are:
WEA Council Representative
Election of Regional Executive Committee
Nominations for officers are being sought. The five Officers elected at the
Election of Regional Committee
The Regional Committee will be made up of the members of the Regional Executive Committee and any co-opted members.