• To get help, you will need to meet the residency requirements for fee remission. You will also need to show that financial difficulties are likely to prevent you from following and completing your course.
  • Asylum seekers who are eligible for SFA funding are also eligible to apply for DLS but will not receive cash payments.

You will be asked to provide a description of the financial circumstances affecting your learning. You may also be asked to provide evidence that financial difficulties are preventing you from learning to support the decision-making process. This might include:

  • Proof of income-based benefit (e.g. your WEA Enrolment Form) or
  • Proof of annual gross household income (e.g. wages slips or bank statements for 3 months)
  • If you can provide evidence of your annual outgoings (e.g. rent or mortgage, fuel, rates and utilities) this might also strengthen your claim.
  • If you receive cash payments from Learner Support, and you are on an income-based benefit, you will need to declare this to Job Centre Plus.

How do I apply for the Discretionary Learner Support Fund?

  • You will need to download a copy of the DLS form and complete this before (must have the course code available) or within two weeks of the course starting. (DLS applications can take up to five working days to be processed. Please note during the enrolment period this could be longer)
  • If you are unable to complete an electronic copy of the form, ask your tutor for a copy of the DLS form 
  • The student support team will email you to confirm whether your application has been successful.  
  • If you are applying for childcare, you will need to have your DLS application approved before confirming your child/ren placement with a childcare provider.