About the role - We are looking to recruit Communications Manager who is looking for a new challenge. This is a great time to make the role your own with flexibility, job variety and the need for creativity. All this , with a great benefits package and a lovely bunch of work colleagues. Choice of locations London or Leeds
About the WEA - The WEA is a unique charity and the UK’s largest voluntary sector provider of adult education. With a clear vision and a strong social purpose, we bring great teaching to local communities, with life-changing courses held in community centres, workplaces and schools. Since 1903, we have been giving disadvantaged people the opportunity to return to learning – inspiring them to realise their full potential and become active, engaged citizens. We see education as a tool for social justice, not just self-improvement, and we pride ourselves on making learning accessible.
All posts at the WEA will support the vision for "A better world - equal, democratic and just; through adult education the WEA challenges and inspires individuals, communities and society.”
- Work with head of marketing and communications and colleagues in the marketing and comms team to develop and deliver communications strategies across the entire spectrum of comms disciplines - assess needs and audiences to select the most effective communication channels to achieve greatest traction, creating opportunities for two-way communications across the organisation. Focus on auditing, analysing and testing all aspects of communications (internal/external) to review effectiveness.
- Act as a ‘brand guardian’ ensuring messaging consistency across all internal and external communications – working collaboratively with specialist marketing and comms colleagues.
- Responsible for partnering with managers and leaders across the organisation to shape and deliver our overall communications strategy in order to support business goals. Ensure all planned activities are aligned to key messages and the new 2025 strategy.
- Responsible for developing and shaping clear key messages that are aligned to brand values. Lead on creating and maintaining appropriate and consistent language and terminology across all channels – driving the new tone of voice brand work, with a Plain English Campaign focus on ‘uncomplicated’ language.
- Build and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with a variety of key stakeholders – with a strong focus on the importance of a positive/supportive working culture.
- Lead on supporting departments across the business on appropriate internal communications channels and methods to achieve successful engagement in key initiatives - developing supportive tools, guides and training where needed.
- Manage, develop, evolve & maintain the intranet - including generating content, making improvements to functionality, advising departments on their use and management, maximising its potential, and monitoring its performance to improve engagement.
- Design and manage our communication briefing process, ensuring it effectively communicates charity messages and elicit feedback. Including - designing, copywriting and distributing of regular e-bulletins.
- Support requests from the press for comments, views and supporting information and maximise opportunities for further engagement on relevant topics.
- Working in conjunction with the volunteering department to develop a new fellowship and ambassador programme and to support the communications and messaging around this and the WEA annual awards.
- Keep up-to-date on best practice within the charity and educational sector generally - as well as the wider communications profession, including changes to communications innovation, digital marketing tools, legislation and codes of practice.
About you - You will hold a degree in marketing/communications, a relevant field or have relevant qualifications and experience in marketing. You will have strong demonstrable communications and project management experience.
To apply for this role please send us your CV and cover letter stating how you meet the person specification to email@example.com. We encourage applicants to apply in advance of the closing day as we reserve the right to close this vacancy early.
Deadline: Feb 18thst 2019 If right level of candidates submit this date may close sooner