Data Protection Officer
Hours – 35 hours per week (1.0 FTE)
The Workers’ Educational Association is a charity and the UK’s largest voluntary sector provider of adult education. We are a charity with a strong sense of social purpose, dedicated to bringing great teaching into the heart of local communities. All our educational provision is developed with this in mind and our courses can be set up almost anywhere – for example in clubs, community centres, village halls, schools, pubs or where people work.
We are looking to recruit an experienced Data Protection Officer To mitigate risks to the organisation by:
- Work with the GDPR project manager and other internal and external stakeholders and advisors to ensure timely delivery of GDPR compliance across WEA
- Monitor compliance with GDPR and other data protection laws, including managing internal data protection activities, advising on data protection impact assessments, providing data protection training and assessing compliance with PDR data protection policies and procedures
- Inform and WEA and its employees about their obligations to comply with GDPR and other data protection laws.
- Developing compliance with data protection legislation
- Monitoring and maintaining compliance with data protection legislation and associated WEA Policies
- Facilitating and maintaining widespread understanding of optimal working practices to support compliance across WEA
- Oversee the timely management and recording of subject access requests and third party data requests.
- Implement an effective process for the identification and internal reporting of data protection and cyber security breaches. Develop strategies for the management and rectification of data security incidents. Perform investigations into data protection and cyber security breaches.
- Notify of any data breaches to the ICO.
- Audit data protection and IT security performance to ensure compliance and good governance is achieved.
- Maintain an awareness of developments in IT security/cyber security technologies and make recommendations to the CIO.
Please ensure that you e-mail your CV and a covering letter stating why you are interested in the role and why you think you meet the relevant criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org, we reserve the right to close this vacancy when we have received a sufficient number of applications.
WEA are proud to be a living wage employer.
The WEA is committed to promoting Equality and Diversity in its employment
practices and service delivery.
Registered charity number 1112775. Company limited by guarantee in England and Wales no. 2806910.
Registered Office: 4 Luke Street, London, EC2A 4XW