Does the thought of using digital technology leave you feeing out of touch and overwhelmed? Have you thought about gaining some digital skills but are not sure where to go? If ''yes'' then the new 'Digital Skills for Everyday Living: Beginners' course is for you. This exciting course, based in our Derby centre, for people with little or no experience of digital technologies will enable you to acquire the skills to become 'digitally literate' in everyday life and work. Our aim is to empower you to confidently engage with the digital world of laptops, smart phones, email, news, word processing, social media, entertainment, shopping and more.
This course will guide you through a wide variety of engaging topics and tasks, all of which have been carefully crafted to ensure that you progress at a pace that is comfortable for you. Class sizes are small, and in addition to supporting each other on your ‘digital journey’, you have the support of a knowledgeable and friendly tutor.
You will use a laptop throughout the course to complete many hands-on tasks designed to develop your digital skills and confidence, including:
• Gathering information from the internet to assist with everyday activities and problems
• Setting up email and social media accounts to contact others and share information
• Using word processing and spreadsheet software to create useful documents
• Using online public services to access vital information
• Employing strategies to keep your devices and online communications safe and secure
Discussions are another key component of the course and topics to be considered will include:
• The pros and cons of using computers, the internet and other digital technologies
• The rise of online misinformation and fake news and how to recognise these
Rest assured, by the end of this course you will be fully prepared to confidently progress to the next level of digital development in your everyday life and work.
What financial support is available?
We don't want anything to stand in your way when it comes to bringing Adult learning within reach so if you need anything to support you to achieve your goals then speak to one of our education experts during your enrolment journey.
Most of our courses are government funded but if you don't qualify or need.
What other support is available?
All of our digital content, teaching and learning activities and assessments are designed to be accessible so if you need any additional support you can discuss this with the education experts during your enrolment journey and we will do all we can to make sure you have optimal access.