Do you like to explore the British countryside, and have you ever wondered why we value our landscape and its associated buildings? If you do, then you are also likely to wonder why we take care to preserve our heritage and valued habitats, and may wonder how this is achieved?
This course is for the adult learner who enjoys visiting the Great Outdoors as well as exploring buildings of historic and archaeological importance. You may have little prior knowledge or feel a need to refresh your existing skills.
You will acquire knowledge about the management of semi-natural habitats such as woodlands, heaths, grasslands, and meadows and learn how this is changing in the face of the climate emergency, visitor pressure as well as changing conservation objectives.
When you have completed to course, you will be able to appreciate the key factors that have made our countryside what it is, and furthermore what kinds of policies and other measures are in place to conserve both heritage landscapes and associated buildings. Specifically, you:
· Will be introduced to timelines for the development of the British landscape.
· Will understand the need to work through communities and agencies in solving environmental problems and achieving conservation.
· Will understand how historic landscapes have come to be, including woodlands, heathlands, grasslands, and floodplain landscapes.
· Will appreciate how selected examples of buildings originated, and for what purpose, using examples from Britain.
· Will appreciate the imperatives to manage and conserve historic landscapes and buildings, together with key policies for their protection and conservation.
You do not need any special skills or equipment, just a desire to learn better to appreciate the Great Outdoors that is so much part of all our heritage. Appropriate additional reading material will be recommended for those who wish to take their learning further.
What financial support is available?
We don't want anything to stand in your way when it comes to bringing Adult learning within reach so if you need anything to support you to achieve your goals then speak to one of our education experts during your enrolment journey.
Most of our courses are government funded but if you don't qualify or need.
What other support is available?
All of our digital content, teaching and learning activities and assessments are designed to be accessible so if you need any additional support you can discuss this with the education experts during your enrolment journey and we will do all we can to make sure you have optimal access.