All our staff are dedicated to bringing great learning opportunities into local communities.
Led by a General Secretary, who also acts as the Chief Executive of the Association, the Senior Management Team provides strategic direction for the organisation across England and Scotland.
WEA Scotland is managed by the Director for Scotland.
Current Senior Management Team
- Simon Parkinson - Chief Executive and General Secretary
- Preeya Buckley - Director of Quality and Student Services
- Chris Morgan - Director of Education, Employability and Skills
- Katie Easey - Director of Education, Community Learning
- Kathleen Formosa - Head of Corporate Governance and Company Secretary
- Dympna McCoy - Interim Finance Director
- Margaret Johnson - Head of HR and OD
- Ray McCowan - Director for Scotland
- James Ward - Director for Marketing, Membership and Income Growth
To contact a member of the Senior Management Team, email [email protected] or write to:
4 Luke Street
The WEA is a charity, with a single body of Trustees which is responsible for all aspects of governance. The WEA's twelve trustees are collectively and individually responsible for the management of the WEA's assets and resources at all levels.
The WEA's Trustee body is made up of:
- Four National Officers
- Three representatives from the WEA's Regions in England.
- One representative from WEA Scotland.
- Four externally co-opted Trustees (including the Chair)
Download a copy of the WEA board committee structure here. (You can also click here to view the WEA Scotland board structure.)
Committee terms of reference are below:
- Audit and risk committee
- Education committee
- Finance and capital resources committee
- Nominations committee
- Renumeration committee
- Scotland board
- John Widdowson, Chair of Trustees | View biography
- Pat Kynaston, President & National Officer | View biography
- Cliff Allum, Treasurer & National Officer | View biography
- Lindsay Pearson, Deputy President & National Officer | View biography
- Marc Sherland, Deputy President & National Officer | View biography
- Michael Crilly, WEA English Regional Representative | View biography
- Robin Cook, WEA English Regional Representative | View biography
- Peter Threadkell, WEA English Regional Representative | View biography
- Marion Flett, WEA Scotland representative | View biography
- Narinder Uppal, Externally co-opted Trustee | View biography
- Jon Gamble, Externally co-opted Trustee | View biography
- Geoff Layer, Externally co-opted Trustee | View biography
The WEA Council is the key forum linking communication and governance within and across the Association. Its purpose is to practically demonstrate the democracy of the WEA particularly between Conferences.
The Council is made up of two representatives from each English Region (3 from Scotland), including the Regional Chair/Scottish Convenor. The Trustees are represented on the Council by the President and one other Association Officer. The President takes the Chair. There are 5 additional places available to represent work outside the branch programme or particular groups of members and two staff representatives can attend.
The main activity of the Council meeting is considering issues raised by members, volunteers, staff and students across the WEA including regional committees and affiliated organisations but ensuring the views of all (including minority voices) are heard.
The Council is able to make recommendations to the Trustees on policy and strategy.
To contact WEA Council with any issues you wish to raise, please email [email protected].