Purpose of the role:
All posts at the WEA will support the vision for "A better world-equal democratic and just; through adult education the WEA challenges and inspires individuals, communities and society.” All posts will also support the WEA’s three strategic objectives: Educational Excellence, Sustainability and Profile raising.
The post-holder will be responsible for the development and delivery of identified areas of WEA provision in Aberdeenshire - in line with local plans to meet WEA objectives. She/he will work closely with a range of stakeholders which are likely to include community organisations, local authority Community Learning and Development staff, and employers. The post-holder will work to agreed targets relevant to the specific area of focus, for example in relation to delivery of course hours, business development opportunities or project outputs, with responsibility to maintain and improve quality of WEA provision in specified areas. She/he will be expected to represent the WEA and promote both the Association and the value of adult education in relevant contexts.
Identifying and taking forward business development opportunities will be a key element of this role.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
WEA courses are taught and organised by a team of dispersed tutors and staff, sometimes working remotely and flexibly. This requires close and co-operative working relationships with tutors, staff, partners and volunteers for the benefit of current and future learners.
· Organise education provision and/or related WEA activity as agreed in work plans
· Promote WEA approach to learning across the educational themes in line with the WEA’s agreed vision, mission, values and approaches.
· Participate in digital developments to help transform the WEA’s education methods and programmes, organisational structures and communications internally and externally.
· Assist in monitoring programme to ensure all provision meets or exceeds the Association’s and other external standards.
· Promote use of digital technologies in WEA education.
· Develop and maintain networks and partnerships in the local area, in order to identify business development opportunities, anticipate change and respond to educational disadvantage.
· Provide line management for a small team of WEA tutors, and assist in the recruitment, selection, induction, motivation and support of tutors.
· Maintain up to date knowledge of educational specialisations through attendance at WEA events and external events.
· Contribute to the development and delivery of strategic and quality improvement plans and targets.
· Assist with extending the WEA’s reach by developing productive relationships at community levels in the identified area.
· Support the activities of WEA members, seeking ways to extend and diversify the WEA’s voluntary base..
· Drive forward the WEA’s commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
· Ensure effective dissemination of information to staff
· Ensure effective team functioning and promote good working relationships
· Manage financial and other resources as required, ensuring effective utilization and financial viability as appropriate at all times.
· Identify operational and contractual risks within the service and to work with colleagues to mitigate against significant risks
· Develop, nurture and manage local relationships in the community.
· Work with members to build a vibrant educational movement at local level.
· Represent the WEA and act as an advocate for adult and community learning in general and WEA learners and members in particular.
· Support staff, tutors, branches and volunteers with marketing, communications, celebratory events, award nominations and public relations.
· Understand, uphold and work with the vision, values, aims and objectives of WEA
· Prepare for and participate in supervision and appraisals
· Identify own training and professional development needs
· Facilitate and attend both internal and external meetings
· Notify your manager of any occurrences which may affect the service or reputation of the organisation
· Provide written records and reports as required by the organisation and your line manager
· Undertake such other duties as reasonably requested by your manager.
· Educated to degree level or equivalent
Knowledge & experience
· Teaching experience, preferably in an adult and community learning context.
· Ability to co-ordinate teaching, learning and assessment to ensure positive outcomes for adult learners with different life experiences, backgrounds and motivations to learn.
· An understanding and appreciation of the value of adult education in society and of the WEA vision, mission and values and approach to learning.
· A working knowledge of teaching and learning, quality improvement and learner support, and of adult education funding and a range of inspection frameworks including HMIe’s “How Good is Our Third Sector Organisation” and “How Good is Our Community Learning and Development 2”.
· Commitment to and awareness of role of digital learning technologies in adult education.
Organisation and communications
· Effective organisational and time management skills.
· Effective communication skills including ability to build relationships and work with a range of stakeholders in an education context.
· Ability to operate on own initiative, respond flexibility to new challenges and to work effectively in teams
Resource and people management
· Experience of supervising staff, working with a range of stakeholders and with volunteers.
· Experiences of project management and programme planning within agreed constraints.
· Ability to monitor progress, work to targets and work with data.
· Excellent IT skills including a significant commitment to the use of educational and communications software to support teaching, learning and development.
· The post-holder must be willing to undertake evening and weekend work and to travel within the region and possibly the UK, as required.
· An appreciation of the challenges of working for a Charity to improve lives.
· Local knowledge of communities and networks in the geographical area in which the post is based.