For the first time this year a WEA awards scheme will recognise and celebrate the work and achievements of WEA students, partners, volunteers, tutors and staff.
The new scheme will showcase innovation in our courses and highlight successful local and regional projects - and the people whose ideas and energy help to deliver the kind of adult education that makes a positive differences to individuals, communities and to society.
Our guests, along with regional and national media, will join us to hear the stories and celebrate the success of WEA, students, volunteers, tutors and partners. The awards will profile the WEA’s ethos in practice and build recognition of the broad value of adult education.
The ceremony will take place as part of a day's programme to demonstrate the positive impact of adult education and will follow a morning event at Westminster sponsored by our patron, Stephen Twigg MP.
Categories for the awards inlude:
• WEA Student of the year
• WEA Volunteer of the year
• WEA Tutor of the year
• WEA Campaign of the year
• WEA Learning Group of the year
• Special recognition award: Administration and support services
• Special recognition award: Education
• Special recognition: Long service award
• Most innovative partnership activity
• Most innovative branch activity
• Best example of diversity in practice
• Exceptional contribution to sustainability through partnership and/or fundraising
If you're attending a WEA class and wish to nominate a local volunteer, your WEA tutor or a helpful member of staff please contact your local WEA office.
Photo: WEA student and 'Living Historian' Alan enjoys a river trip as part of Adult Learners Week 2012. The new WEA award scheme means students will be recognised for their achievements. Photo by Andrew Heptinstall.