For over 100 years, the WEA’s Trustees have been grown from among the ranks of its membership, usually from its student body. This is still true today, although we now also recruit a third of our Trustees from outside the WEA, in order to ensure the highest standards of governance and the Trustee body has the skills and diverse experience to enrich the WEA’s improving reputation and success. Our present Chair of Trustees, Richard Taylor, will be retiring from his position in December 2012 and we have decided to appoint our new Chair through a selection process.
We are looking to recruit someone with a strong commitment to the WEA’s aims and values, who will be able to bring the leadership skills and experience we seek. In order to be effective in the role, the Chair of Trustees will need to dedicate time to:
• Visit the WEA London offices regularly
• Liaise with the Chief Executive once a month to keep abreast of what is going on.
• Attend as many functions as possible or send members of the Board of Trustees.
• Deliver a report at the A.G.M and introduce the Annual Report.
• Attend and Chair the Board of Trustees Meetings, and oversee the work of the committees through regular meetings with chairs (including two overnight development meetings).
• Conducts key stakeholder briefings with the Chief Executive.
• Involvement from time to time in projects and initiatives to which they are able to contribute their expertise and leadership skills.
The Chair of Trustees will offer a key leadership role within the WEA and will work with others, particularly the President, to ensure the enhancement of the reputation and effectiveness of this value led, democratic Association. The Chair will recognise the value of education which transforms people’s lives, particularly those who live in the most disadvantaged communities of our country.
The WEA extends across England and Scotland. Trustee meetings have usually been held in London on Wednesdays, although Trustees must be prepared to travel widely within the UK, for which reasonable expenses will be paid.
Download the application pack here
Download the application and equal opportunities forms here
Closing date: Noon 6th August 2012